39820 Charles Town Pike
39° 9' 44.082" N, 77° 38' 15.3744" W
All - open access
Loudoun County and all surrounding areas
The Loudoun County Animal Shelter has dogs, cats and other animals available for adoption. Adoption fees are listed below. Adoption applications may be submitted only during viewing and adoption hours. If you arrive before the designated viewing and adoption hours, you will be asked to wait until we are open or return at the appropriate time.
Virginia law requires that all dogs, cats and rabbits adopted from the shelter be spayed or neutered as part of the adoption process (if the animal is not already spayed or neutered). The adoption fee includes the spay/neuter surgery fee (if necessary). The fee also includes a distemper vaccination, deworming, flea and tick treatment, and a free health check from a participating Loudoun County veterinarian.
Adoption counselors are available to provide information about the animals and to answer questions. Adopting a pet represents a commitment to care for the animal for potentially many years. Adopters are encouraged to spend as much time as possible with the animal to ensure that the animal is the best match for their home and lifestyle.
Steps in the Adoption Process
1. If you are adopting a dog, you will first complete a Meet Your Match survey and get a color card. This color will correspond to the color cards on the dog kennels to help find your best match.
2. Visit with the animals. An adoption counselor will assist you in making your selection.
3. Submit an adoption application. The application will be reviewed within 24-72 hours and you will be notified if any additional information is needed. Animals generally do not go home the same day that an application is submitted.
4. Finalize your adoption contract. This may take place at the same time as you submit your application.
5. Pick up your new pet! This would happen at the Shelter if your pet is already spayed/neutered. If not, you would pick him/her up from the veterinarian